Tuesday 29 April 2014

Chris Howe: Life in the Youth team (Part 1.)

Recently I did an article called 'american dream' all about Rovers players which have played in the states, one of the features of the article was local lad, Chris Howe, who played for Rovers youth team, and currently involved in L.A Galaxy. Following the release of that article, Chris kindly got in touch, thanked me for the article and asked if I have any questions for him. Chris's response was fantastic.

His emails were so in depth that I have split into 2 articles, the majority of these articles will be 'straight from the horses mouth'. Part 1 will look at what it was like to play for Doncaster, and his time in the youth team. Part 2 which looks at how he got to where he is now and his current roles.

Life in the youth team, Chris Howe played for Rovers youth team circa 2000. I asked Chris what it was like to be a part of the youth team.

Being at Donny was fantastic for so many reasons but at the same time there were many different struggles we all had to face. Being from Doncaster I was very proud to be involved with my home town team. I used to love being stood at the side of the pitch during the first team games and in/around the stadium on match days. Belle Vue had a very unique atmosphere being one of the last true, proper football grounds. The new ground is a tremendous piece of architecture and a real step forwards for the club as a whole but there was always something magical about a packed house at Belle Vue. It felt like family.

As a group of lads training day in day out, you could imagine the bond was very strong. The problem at that time Doncaster was, like all lower league teams, being run on a very tight budget. The youth team were more than just players. We literally had to do everything imaginable to help with the running of the club. Obviously the sweeping and cleaning of the changing rooms, both at Cantley Park and Belle Vue, were a given but there were so much more. From painting the Pop Stand one summer, shovelling snow off the pitch before games, sweeping the rubbish in the Main Stand after games to the cleaning of cars! When Cantley Park got relaid with new grass we had to walk through the soil and pick up all the big stones out the muck which would prevent the grass from growing again - not sure we even kicked a ball that day! Everyone stuck together though and you were never left to do anything on your own. Mickey Walker was very hard to please at times but the lads supported each other constantly. 

In terms of the football - Getting to train every day with your best mates was an experience which will never be forgotten. Had some great rivalries with Scunthorpe United and Bradford City, always tough games which would no doubt end up with at least a sending off and a scrap! The banter was different level as well, boys running round Cantley Park starkers, no one dared show up with new boots, and the constant ribbing of anything out of the ordinary!

For me personally the learning was constant. Being a goalkeeper training with the Andy Warrington and Barry Richardson was a tough environment to train in. Andy was very level headed, very calm and poised. There is an old saying that goes something like "you've got to be a nutter to be a goalkeeper" and I think Barry epitomised that phrase hahaha. He was very intense, very unforgiving and ferocious - plus I had the job of cleaning his boots which scared me stiff! However, both were great professionals and laid out some very important advice which helped tremendously.
I asked Chris if he still sees or speaks to any of his old team mates from Rovers
I still speak to quite a lot of the lads which is great. 
I know Dunc (Milligan) works with Donny Belles in some capacity. Slacky (Liam Slack) has a PhD in Psychology and works with some Premier League refs. We always meet up in town for a beer when I'm home as he's still in Doncaster himself. We also used to play for Rossington Main together so we go a long way back. Slacky was playing for Retford United, not sure if he still is or has been bombed haha
 Snods (Lee Snoddin) moved to London after playing for Charlton for a year or so under his dad. Haven't spoke to him for a while to be fair but we both went to Hayfield together so good pals.

 Big Robbo (Paul Robinson) is in New York working or a tech company, like I said we had a cracking night out few weeks ago, was good to catch up. He was telling me about the Nottingham lads - Ben Sherwood, Robert Gil, Marin Kearney playing for local teams in the local leagues etc.

 Little Robbo (Paul Robson) has done well, he's played footy in America and now at Lincoln city I think. We give each other a bit of stick on Facebook every now and again.

 To be fair I'm in contact a lot with Jon Maloney and Adam Frazer. They both player in America as well and we actually played against each other which was a crazy coincidence! Jono is back home playing for Harrogate Railway at the minute. Chris Dickman is at home in Maltby, not sure if he's still playing though. 

 I got back in touch with Pricey (Jamie Price) recently as my little brother went on loan to Bradford Park Avenue where Pricey is playing so we had a good catch up. He's doing well with his sports company for kids.

 I think that's about it really but we still all chat every now and again on Facebook - usually about something funny that happened when we were all playing together!


Chris has a busy work schedule, as explained in part 2 of this, but he did tell he is still a fan of Rovers.
I don't get home much but every time I do I always make a point to go and watch The Rovers and also Rossington Main who I played for when I was younger. I follow them both closely and like to see them do well. People in America as me all the time who I support (expecting a Premier League team) and when I say Doncaster Rovers they say "who?!" as no ones ever heard of them haha! I have the Donny badge as the screen saver on my phone and they don't believe its an actual team! When I'm home, still go drinking in the same pubs in Rosso and Bawtry and hang out with my mates from as far back as primary School.

He also told me that he proudly has a signed 2001-2002 Doncaster shirt hanging on his wall, however this attracts a fair bit of banter from his English mates, and most likely a fair amount of questions from his non English mates, i'm sure Chris has heard 100s of times 'who are they?'

Thanks for reading, and I must thank Chris for his time in effort to answer and write in such detail, he is a true pro. I recommend following him twitter too.
Dont forget, Part 2 covering how he got to where he is now and what he actually does is out now

Like us on Facebook - Click Here
Follow us on Twitter - Click Here
Visit the Forum - Click Here
Visit the Fansite - Click Here
Chris' Twitter - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment